Notes below capture how I go through life. I am trying to condense learnings from that in essays.
- The Ethics of a Click We change lives with a click. The power should be used with responsibility.
- Why I Hate Phone Calls Unscheduled phone calls are a terrible idea.
- Tie Guan Yin #08-10 Three new episodes of Tie Guan Yin focused on HTML rendering
- Computer Power as a Currency Bitcoin problems notwithstanding, tying buying power to computer power is a viable idea.
- How To Deploy a Simple Website on AWS with Terraform Deploying a PHP site with MySQL database on AWS with Terraform is a bit harder than tutorials show. Here is a complete example.
- On Four Types of Development Companies There are four types of companies. Which company you join affects your work significantly, so choose wisely.
- Tie Guan Yin #07 I did a shortened live coding session as an episode 7 of The Graveyard of Tie Guan Yin. I focused on a single thing: PHP code archeology to discover how the old site escapes and presents HTML. Armed with that knowledge, I recreated an acceptable interim solution for the new Django version. That will have to stay on until we’re far enough that old version can be shut down and we can clean up the current mess.
- Tie Guan Yin #06 I did another live coding as an episode 6 of The Graveyard of Tie Guan Yin. Topics covered: Serving static files on Heroku with Django Disabling security to be able to serve the project without TLS Setting up email delivery Setting up password reset Testing the view with Django’s test client The Graveyard of Tie Guan Yin is a webcast series where I drink tea and refactor my old Czech website (that is due for its 20th anniversary next year) into an open-source project.
- Tie Guan Yin #05 I did another live coding as an episode 5 of The Graveyard of Tie Guan Yin. Topics covered: Deploying a an existing Django project to Heroku and its configuration Converting Django project with file-based settings.py to accept environment variables Attempting to connect the project to database hosted in RDS The Graveyard of Tie Guan Yin is a webcast series where I drink tea and refactor my old Czech website (that is due for its 20th anniversary next year) into an open-source project.
- How To Access AWS Securely From CLI With 1Password From Any Platform A simple script to export AWS Environment variables from 1Password.