Tie Guan Yin #06
I did another live coding as an episode 6 of The Graveyard of Tie Guan Yin. Topics covered:
- Serving static files on Heroku with Django
- Disabling security to be able to serve the project without TLS
- Setting up email delivery
- Setting up password reset
- Testing the view with Django’s test client
The Graveyard of Tie Guan Yin is a webcast series where I drink tea and refactor my old Czech website (that is due for its 20th anniversary next year) into an open-source project.
I plan to cut this into annotated shorter snippets at one point, but I want to get the work done first. The aim is to help new programmers bridge the gap between finishing basic learnings and tutorials and submerging into a real-world project. The particular areas I see people struggling with:
- Debugging, debugging, and debugging. Discovery and reasoning behind old decisions
- Orienting yourself in a larger codebase
- Making product micro-decisions
- Considerations tied to running the project in production
- Practical learning and blending the learnings of fundamentals with technologies that operate on top of them
This is thus an unstructured series that doesn’t contain prepared segments. I do share how I learn, how I debug and how do I overcome obstacles thrown in my way in technologies I am not an expert in. I am also trying to demonstrate how technology decisions depend on the context and sharing how I would decide differently under different conditions (i.e. larger project, stringer security requirements, etc.). I am also producing a real code produced under time constraints and going through optimal time/value path.
Published in Notes and tagged graveyard • TGY • webcast