Notes for week 5 of 2022
Productboard raised its Series D and is now a unicorn. This wasn’t unexpected: once you’ve been in the game, you can see the signals. It’s a bit weird for me as I am only few weeks in, making it feel a bit irrelevant. That said, congratulations to the whole team!
I found unexpected allies to my domain model initiative and will utilize them as much as possible. Otherwise, I’ve moved on to a new project; the releases of the old ones are still not public. The day will come!
HIIT on elliptical seems to be quite efficient way to push exercise into my day even when I don’t have time. And I have now sufficiently A/B tested that Garmin thinks VO2 only goes up during recovery. I am not sure it’s exactly motivating ;)
- If you use Vault for PostgreSQL credentials even for development, and you use JetBrains IDE like IDEA or PyCharm this plugin may save your time
- CloudFlare is preparing its own, cheaper S3 alternative integrated with workers:
- ZOMBIE formula for testing is an interesting mental formulae for writing tests
- SQLite playground purely in the browser because you can compile SQLite using WASM and then also use github pages range requests to paginate using sqj.js-httpvfs
- Somebody took the time to discover The Sister Republics of Unicode
- REPL for Python in WebAssembly: wasm-python terminal
- Remote capture of packets using wireshark and tcpdump over ssh:
ssh host tcpdump -i any -U -Ss0 -w - ‘port 31337’ | /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/MacOS/Wireshark -k -i -
- I recently had a discussion about homework vs live coding for candidates. One of the arguments against was that nobody knows if people do homeworks themselves. Well apparently, neither you know with live coding since people showing up for the job may be the different people than interviewed
- Why nobody told me about ngrep?!?
- I’ve walked 33 km. I’ve been active for 7.8 hours during 8 activities. This week’s max speed was 10.7 km/h and I conquered 835 elevation meters.
Recommended Readings From This Week
- Not read yet, but: One model for the learning of language as a “Chomsky is wrong so much” (see the Twitter thread)
- A story of batshit crazy Uber rewrite
- Spanish museum celebrates pioneer who took smallpox vaccine to colonies: There are many words to describe using people as fridges and I’ll use none.
- Exceptional Off-Cycle Compensation Adjustments for Software Engineers in 2021: Uh-oh.
- How I write useful programming comics: Structuring comics
- Why Teapots Always Drip – Scientists Finally Explain the “Teapot Effect”: Physics breaking news
- Tech questions for 2022: Good ones
- The Plan Was Simple: Infiltrate MAGA World and Tell Everyone What She Saw. Then She Was Found Out.: Ethical minefield
- Two Major Companies Announced Four-Day Workweeks—This May Be The Tipping Point For Businesses To Join The Growing Movement: I am not convinced. Most of the problems are solved by flexible and modern management and time organization and while I would enjoy and support four day workweek, I am not sure it’s globally competitive
Published in Weekly Notes and tagged Weekly Notes